I’ve been seriously remiss in posting updates on the latest brews to come out of my “brewhouse”:
Batch 2 - “Holy Smoke”, Spring 2011: This smoked porter was a slightly modified Brewer’s Best kit. Used Wyeast’s 1728 - Scottish Ale yeast. Noted that the yeast pouch was nearly exploding when we pitched it. And man, was it freaking amazing. Best batch I’ve brewed yet or since. If the beer had a label, it would have looked like this:
Batch 3 - “Holy Diver”, July 2011: This was another slightly modified BB kit, this time using Wyeast’s 1187 - Ringwood Ale. Unfortunately, my basement/fermentation room was hit with a foot and a half of floodwater while this was fermenting, spoiling the batch. The beer label would have looked like this:
Batch 4 - ???: Man, I know I brewed another batch sometime in Q1/Q2 2012 with my buddy Jeromy, but I can’t for the life of me remember what it was or how it turned out.
Batch 5 - “Scary Angel”, July 2012: This was my first recipe attempt, co-brewed with my man T. Josh “Big Spoon”. It was to be an amber ale, which we tweaked up with a bit of dark munich DME and Wyeast’s 1187 - Ringwood Ale. The result was less than ideal - with that typical homebrew tang. Perhaps the yeast wasn’t ready to pitch yet? It definitely wasn’t as pillowed as I would have liked when we pitched it. I also made a mistake when bottling, stupidly adding the priming solution to each bottle. I’m lucky I haven’t had an explosion! The fact that I didn’t, and that we missed our target final gravity by quite a bit, might be further evidence that the yeast just wasn’t ready to pitch and/or fermentation temperature wasn’t right. The label would have had this on it:
Now this is interesting. Sam and team’s latest ancient fermented reconstruction was achieved through the modification of brewing equipment, installing brass in their fermenters. Brilliant! I’m not sure how much of a flavor impact it could have, but I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t stoked to try it and find out.